Paris has the Eiffel Tower, New York City has the Empire State Building, and Seattle has the Space Needle. These iconic structures are emblems for each city, instantly recognizable as symbols of vitality, tourism, and civic, regional, and national pride. San Diego’s California Tower is unquestionably the icon of our city. A visual and cultural landmark of extraordinary historic significance, the Tower stands as an important monument to San Diego itself.
Unlike world-renowned structures such as the Eiffel Tower, the Empire State Building, and the Space Needle, however, our Tower lacks one vital component: public access. We are currently conducting a study to determine the feasibility of reopening San Diego’s California Tower to the public. Below, please find the most frequently asked questions regarding the status of our efforts to possibly reopen the California Tower.
Frequently Asked Questions
1) When will the Tower be open?
We do not know if the Tower will ever reopen to the public. Although we would love to reopen it in time for the 2015 celebration, it is still a dream at this point. We are happy to report, however, that we are in the process of conducting a feasibility study to determine what it might take to offer guided tours of the Tower to the public someday.
2) Can I pay you to go up now? Pretty please?
No. We are sorry, but the Tower is not open to the public at this time.
3) What is it going to take to reopen the Tower?
Whether we can reopen the Tower will depend on the findings of the feasibility study, our ability to successfully collaborate with various stakeholders to overcome a wide variety of hurdles, and our ability to raise the necessary funding. However, we are convinced: where there is a collective will, there is a collective way.
4) How much more money do you need?
As of December 24, 2014, we are halfway to our goal of raising $3 million to provide for the long-term stewardship of the California Tower.
5) How can I help?
You can help in three ways:
1) Share your thoughts on why you think the tower should be re-opened. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or post to our Facebook page.
2) Check this page for new info, and sign up for email updates using the form below. And spread the word!
3) When we’re ready to start fundraising, donate! We’ll post a link here for the Tower campaign.