Ever wanted to work in a museum but don’t have the experience? Some of our staff got their first museum-industry experience by becoming an intern and you can, too.
At our museum, you would be doing a lot more than just pushing a big green button on the copier. Interns get to work alongside our regular staff, doing real museum tasks and helping to solve real museum-related issues. Just to give you a sample, here are two great open intern positions waiting for you! They will teach you useful skills that you can take to a future employer. Plus, you get to work with cool people.
Both of these positions are unpaid, are considered part-time, and will run for the equivalent of one semester. Start and end dates are flexible, as are the daily start and end times. To apply to either position, please send a cover letter, current resume, and a brief writing sample to Shannon Fowler at firstname.lastname@example.org with the internship title in the subject line. Please, no calls or in-person inquiries.
Marketing and Social Media Intern
Under the guidance of the marketing associate, the marketing and social media intern will help promote the San Diego Museum of Man’s mission, current offerings, and marketing initiatives across various social media platforms and other outlets, as well as perform additional tasks within the marketing department as needed.Responsibilities include:
- Writing and posting relevant content and pictures to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media platforms
- Promoting the Museum’s current offerings, including exhibitions, events, and special programming across various online and print media
- Developing and growing the Museum’s online presence and community
The ideal candidate is a college student or recent graduate; has a light, creative writing style; has an outgoing, self-starting attitude; has an interest in the marketing, museum, or anthropology fields; and has a good understanding of (or a willingness to learn about) social media and other marketing tools.
Wedding and Events Social Media Intern
Under the guidance of the marketing manager, marketing associate, and special events manager, the wedding and events social media intern will help promote the San Diego Museum of Man’s venues, including the Saint Francis Chapel, the Irving Gill Auditorium, and the Museum itself, to corporations, social and professional organizations, engaged couples, and other potential venue-rental customers. Responsibilities include:
- Posting relevant pictures and content to Facebook, Pinterest, Yelp, Twitter, and other social media channels
- Writing or summarizing and then posting links, stories, and other tidbits relevant to potential venue-rental customers
- Growing the follower base for each events-related social media account
- Contacting photographers who have taken pictures in our venues to secure permission, or to negotiate a trade, that will let the Museum use their photos on our site and in social media
- Choosing photos and light photo-editing (cropping, brightening, etc.) for use in social media.
The ideal candidate has a light writing style, an outgoing attitude, an adventurous spirit, a good understanding of (or a willingness to learn about) social media, and some experience with events planning or management, weddings, corporate events, or other event types, either for something personal or for an organization.
You can find all of our internships here.