The San Diego Museum of Man is reinventing itself as a 21st-Century museum with exciting new exhibits that strengthen its role in the community. Its world-class collections and iconic building in the heart of Balboa Park create a perfect place to learn about each other, reflect on our place in the world, and build a better community. If you want to try new things, excel at your work, and reach many thousands of people every year, then join our enthusiastic and adventurous staff.
Museum Security Officer
Department: Security, Facilities & Visitor Services
Date: January 2013
Position Status: Part-time
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
General Description: The security officer performs a wide variety of protective, customer service, and courtesy duties for the Museum. The security officer is expected to be effective at responding to visitor questions and interacting with museum guests. The security officer is responsible for providing a safe and secure environment for visitors, staff, and collections.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitor assigned areas within the Museum, Museum grounds, and closed circuit TV to observe, caution, instruct, correct, investigate, and report activities to maintain order and protect Museum visitors, staff, collections and exhibitions.
- Employ Customer Service best practices with visitors, staff and vendors.
- Observe exhibits for change of any kind; report problems to the Director of Security & Facilities for immediate notification to Curatorial or Museum Management; report any building conditions requiring attention to Maintenance staff. Maintain knowledge of current policies and procedures in order to correctly implement judgments and actions for the protection of exhibits and the safety and protection of Museum staff and visitors.
- Respond to requests for assistance and evaluate appropriate courses of action.
- Respond to emergency situations such as fire, evacuation plan implementation, or employee/visitor injuries.
- May perform limited emergency first-aid treatment.
- Prepare required security reports that document actions taken while on duty.
- Provide customer service assistance to enhance visitor experience.
- Participate in all required training programs.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Security & SDMoM management staff.
Experience, Education and Skills required:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must pass a drug screen and background investigation.
- Posses a current California Guard License at the start of employment.
- Must be able to work weekend shifts and occasional evening events.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows operating system and Microsoft word processing software (must possess the computer skills necessary to complete and distribute Security reports electronically).
- Must be able to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Must possess the skills necessary to identify security and/or safety hazards and respond accordingly.
- Must be able to stand or walk for extended period of time (up to seven hours of an eight hour shift).
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able, with the assistance of another person, to evacuate a person from the 2nd to the 1st floor of the Museum.
Experience, Education and Skills preferred:
- BA in Anthropology, Museum Studies, or related field
- 1st Aid/CPR/AED certification.
- Previous museum or law enforcement experience.
Please email your resume, cover letter, list of three references, salary requirements, and salary history to email@example.com. Please indicate the job title “Museum Security Officer” in the subject line. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. No phone inquiries, please.
Museum Sales Representative
Date: March 2013
Position Status: Part-time
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
General Description: The Sales Representative at the San Diego Museum of Man is responsible for making group ticket sales for the museum. This includes, but is not limited to, identifying leads, making sales pitches, negotiating terms, closing sales, invoicing customers, and arranging for fulfillment.
The Sales Representative will sell the museum as a destination to school groups at all levels, youth organizations, conference attendees, conference-hosting organizations, tour organizers, bus tour companies, cruise ship lines, professional societies, business fraternities, concierge services, corporate organizations, and other people who may travel together, spend time together, or organize group events.
The Sales Representative is expected to creatively, efficiently, and effectively create and track new customer relationships; to understand the museum and its offerings; to provide excellent and prompt customer service; to work collaboratively with individuals throughout the San Diego Museum of Man to ensure a seamless customer experience; and to meet sales goals.
This is a one-year grant-funded position for 20 hours a week at $15/hour. The right candidate will be able to generate enough increased revenue to fund the position in the future.
Experience, Education and Skills:
- Bachelor's degree in sales or marketing or another business-related field. Relevant and significant equivalent experience will also be considered.
- At least three years of experience in customer service and sales with proven track record of delivering results.
- Drive and initiative. Be a self-starter or go-getter who can work independently with little direction.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, online and face-to-face.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Creativity, an innovative attitude, and the ability to persuade.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent phone manner.
- Active listening skills a must.
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to manage multiple processes and projects.
- Excellent time management skills. Punctuality is essential.
- Collaborative team player.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and general computer use.
- Excellent record-keeping and reporting habits.
- Knowledge of the arts and non-profit environments preferred.
- Familiarity with many facets of San Diego, such as its tourism sector, schools, youth organizations, and social organizations.
- Flexible part-time schedule.
- After an initial training and adjustment period, working remotely may be possible.
To Apply: Please email your resume, cover letter, list of three references, salary requirements, and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the job title "Sales Representative" in the subject line. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. No phone inquiries, please.