Over 15,000 years ago humans began sharing their meals with wolves, forging the first friendship between humans and animals–but where did we go from there?
Since then, we’ve formed all kinds of relationships with all kinds of animals, and we encounter them everywhere in our daily lives: they cuddle up with us on the couch, crawl silently through our walls, sit on our dinner plates, and more.
But whether we see an animal as a pet, a pest, or food has changed over time and across cultures, making our relationships with them dynamic and complex to say the least.
Take a journey with us and discover all the surprising, unique, and inspiring ways that we live with animals. You’ll find we’re not human without them!
Here’s some of what you’ll experience in this interactive and immersive exhibit:
- From the ancient outdoors to our modern living rooms, discover how wild animals became our pets
- Travel the world with roaches, pigeons, and rats to learn how humans created pests
- Eat virtual meals in our diner from five different countries over the last 100 years
- And lots more!
Sign up for our mailing list to get updates on Living with Animals and other Museum news and events.
Living with Animals Public Programming
- War Dogs | Saturday, April 1 | 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
- The World of Rabbits | Sunday, April 2 | 1:00-1:45 p.m. & 2:00-2:45 p.m.
- Woof Squad: Dogs of the SDPD | Thursday, April 6 | 2:00-4:00 p.m.
- Something Wild! | Friday, April 7 | 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. & 1:00 p.m.-2:00 p.m.
- Tiny But Mighty Small Animal Demonstration | Saturday, April 8 | 1:00-1:30 p.m. & 2:00-2:30 p.m.
- Bird is the Word | Sunday, April 9 | 11:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
- A Bee’s Life | Sunday, April 9 | 2:00-4:00 p.m.
- Woof Squad: Dogs of the SDPD | Thursday, April 13 | 2:00-4:00 p.m.
- Dogs That Serve | Saturday, April 15 | 1:00-1:30 p.m. & 2:00-2:30 p.m.
- Something Wild! | Sunday, April 16 | 1:00-1:30 p.m. & 2:00-2:30 p.m.
- Canine Ambassadors | Tuesday, April 18 | 10:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
- Dogs That Serve | Saturday, April 22 | 1:00-1:30 p.m. & 2:00-2:30 p.m.
- Undersea Giants | Friday, April 28 | 1:30-2:00 p.m. & 2:30-3:00 p.m.
- Wonder Birds | Saturday, April 29 | 12:00-12:30 p.m. & 1:00-1:30 p.m.
- Something Wild! | Sunday, April 30 | 1:00-3:00 p.m.
Special thanks to our generous sponsors:
Jerome D. & Anne Evenson Ryan
Bank of Southern California, Bowden Family Foundation, Cavignac & Associates, City of San Diego Commission for Arts and Culture, County of San Diego Community Enhancement Program, Cultura, The Donald C. and Elizabeth M. Dickinson Foundation, Rebecca Dickinson Welch & Gary Welch, Dowling & Yahnke, Hattie Ettinger Conversation Fund at The San Diego Foundation, Heller Foundation of San Diego, Hollander Design Group, Mark Kassab, The Loughridge Family, Kenneth & Harle Montgomery Foundation at the recommendation of Marnie Cheney, Ron and Jarvis Pahl, Dr. Seuss Fund at The San Diego Foundation, Linda & Ken Sumner.
To co-sponsor this unique exhibit, contact Hope Carlson, Chief Development Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org, (619) 239-2001, ext. 73.