San Diego Museum of Man
Date: September 2016
Position Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The San Diego Museum of Man (SDMoM) is seeking an enthusiastic, articulate Donor & Member Relations Specialist to join its dynamic team. Upon creating a new mission and vision, this team has reinvented SDMoM as a site of discourse where people can come to learn from each other, reflect on their place in the world, and build a better community. Revenues have increased dramatically, and SDMoM is searching for a skilled professional to grow membership and steward SDMoM’s donors well.
The Donor & Member Relations Specialist works with the Individual Giving Manager, Chief Development Officer, and other employees at the San Diego Museum of Man (SDMoM) to manage member and donor relationships. The Donor & Member Relations Specialist is responsible for creating and maintaining excellent relationships with members and donors at all levels but especially entry- and mid-level donors. (S)he is also responsible for crafting correspondence, coordinating planned giving outreach, and ensuring logistics within the Development Department are running smoothly. (S)he project manages various work requiring executive attention, manages contact notes, takes minutes, schedules donor meetings, assists with events, and researches prospects. An integral part of the development team, the Donor & Member Relations Specialist will report to the Chief Development Officer, will supervise the Development & Membership Assistant, and is expected to work collaboratively with individuals throughout SDMoM.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Serve as primary point of contact for members and fields all membership related questions internally and externally. Surface key questions from high level members and donors to Individual Giving Manager, Chief Development Officer, and/or CEO as appropriate.
- Write membership letters, including new member solicitations, membership renewals, and membership thank you letters with an eye towards making an emotional connection with each recipient.
- Create digital and printed membership appeals. Draft language and oversee design. Work with Development & Membership Assistant to prepare mailing list and manage mail house.
- Update membership materials as needed.
- Supervise the Development & Membership Assistant, who handles membership gift entry as well as printing and mailing membership letters.
- Lead preparation for Museum Insiders Club events, a benefit for Patron level members.
- Cultivation/Relationship Building:
- Research and create profiles for donor prospects.
- Identify key prospects to be further cultivated and surface those to Individual Giving Manager and Chief Development Officer.
- Act as representative for the Museum at external events when necessary.
- Develop relationships with members and donors at all levels. Serve as primary invitation contact for events, including managing RSVPs and RSVP lists.
- Develop deeper relationships with entry-level donors to help them migrate to higher level donors. Identify when handoffs should be made.
- Give tours to entry-level donors when requested.
- Liaise with trustees as requested by Chief Development Officer.
- Planned Giving:
- Together with Individual Giving Manager, coordinate planned giving donor outreach for long-time donors who have not yet given at high levels.
- Donor Stewardship:
- Make thank you calls to long-time donors and other supporters.
- Manage birthday gifts for trustees and other major donors.
- Field special requests from donors, including auction donations and certificates, Tower tour reservations, and others as needed.
- Write donor thank you letters, creatively engaging each donor and making him/her feel valued.
- Create donor correspondence, including all solicitations and thank you letters, in a timely fashion. Give letters to Development & Membership Assistant to be printed, signed, scanned and uploaded to the database, and mailed.
- Development Capacity Study and Capital Campaign:
- Take a lead role in managing logistics for Development Capacity Study and Capital Campaign. Schedule meetings, track and manage follow ups, coordinate documents, and other tasks as assigned.
- Data Management:
- Play a key role in managing donor and member data in Salesforce.
- Ensure data integrity and accurate entry by Development & Membership Assistant.
- Create donor lists and mailing lists for marketing materials and Discovery newsletter.
- Donor/Development Events:
- Plan logistics for private events and act as liaison between Development Department, Donor, and Special Events Manager.
- Work with Special Events Manager to ensure donors’ needs are met for the event.
- Assist with events logistics and staff events as needed. Manage check-in process at events.
- Administrative Support:
- Take minutes in all Development Committee meetings and internal meetings and track and project manage follow ups.
- Create folders and other materials for donor meetings.
- Project manage donor outreach for CEO, Chief Development Officer, Major Gift Officer, and Individual Giving Manager. Track action items and issue reminders.
- Help with set up for donor-related events as necessary.
- Manage volunteer interns who assist with various development tasks. Ensure volunteers are properly trained on tasks and that their work is audited for accuracy and completeness.
- Meet with CEO to gather contact notes. Enter contact notes from CEO, Chief Development Officer, and Individual Giving Manager, and Foundation and Government Relations Officer into the database.
- Manage benefits tracking for sponsors.
- Additional Tasks:
- Assist Chief Development Officer, Major Gifts Officer, and Individual Giving Manager as needed.
- Together with Individual Giving Manager, assist with monthly giving implementation and planned giving program.
- Help with other tasks as needed and as time allows.
Experience, Education, and Skills Required
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Experience in the following areas:
- Database Management.
- Membership programs.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Self-starter who can work independently with little direction.
- Excellent organization skills with ability to manage multiple processes and projects.
- Collaborative team player.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to adapt to changing environments.
- Ability to conceptualize and develop strategies.
- Quantitative and qualitative research skills.
- Ability to organize, interpret, and communicate data.
- Excellent proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) including Mail Merge.
- Proficiency in Salesforce. Knowledge of DonorPerfect, DonorSearch, and Constant Contact also preferred.
- Knowledge of community, the arts and non-profit environment preferred.
The San Diego Museum of Man is an equal opportunity employer and a drug free workplace. Please send a cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the job title “Donor & Member Relations Specialist” and your first initial and last name in the subject line. No phone inquiries, please. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.