Job Title: Exhibit Developer Date: July, 2017
Reports to: Director of Exhibits Employment Status: Full-Time
The San Diego Museum of Man’s mission is to inspire human connections by exploring the human experience. We aim to hold a space for discourse on topics that matter and a place where we keep the fun in profundity. The Museum, housed in an architectural gem at the heart of Balboa Park, is open 362 days each year. Our staff demonstrates great flexibility, generosity, kindness, humor, excellent judgment, and attention to detail. We love our community, our visitors and our team! Commitment to a team approach is a must and a clear perspective is appreciated. If you like being around hard-working, welcoming, appreciative idealists with no shortage of opinions, please join us. Be part of making our community better by working in a museum that aims to be part of the solution.
Description: Exhibit Developer
The San Diego Museum of Man (SDMoM or the Museum) is seeking an Exhibit Developer to join its dynamic Exhibits Team. The Exhibit Developer has a critical role in developing content for our temporary and permanent exhibitions, developing exhibit story lines, and organizing exhibit themes. The Exhibit Developer will participate in substantive conversations with subject-matter experts, as well as research subject matter on diverse topics.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Director of Exhibits, the Exhibit Developer is expected to work collaboratively with individuals throughout SDMoM and to perform the following:
- Research, develop, interpret and write content of permanent and temporary exhibitions.
- Conduct primary topic research for exhibits, including but not limited to literature reviews and consultation with outside subject matter experts.
- Author and edit exhibit labels, visitor handouts, and other interpretative materials.
- Research, develop and test interactive activities.
- Participate in the grant writing process as requested.
- Serve on internal committees as assigned.
- Ability to discuss and present the development of exhibits to others, including donors and trustees.
- Ensure frequent contact with Director of Exhibits to: determine workflow priorities, identify potential problem areas needing immediate or future attention, participate as an actively supportive member of the exhibits team, and be willing to share knowledge as well as learn new skills from others.
Experience, Education, or Skills Required:
- Graduate-level degree in exhibit development, museum studies, museum education, anthropology or a related field; or bachelor’s degree with experience equivalent.
- Excellent writing, editing and grammar skills.
- Strong ability to research subject matter and understand basic concepts in humanities and arts and sciences.
- Minimum of three years of experience in developing highly engaging, interactive, visitor focused exhibits.
- Demonstrated experience in developing at least one large exhibit (2000 sq. ft. and above) from start to finish.
- Ability to relate effectively with people of various cultural backgrounds, levels of education and experience.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and basic understanding of VectorWorks and AutoCAD.
- Proven ability to communicate complex ideas with a wide range of audiences.
- Familiarity with literature related to informal learning, visitor evaluation and museum exhibition development.
- Audio/video production experience, including drafting scripts and directing performers.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a creative and collaborative environment.
- Self-motivated; able to work individually without close supervision within tight deadlines. Able to coordinate with a small team to accomplish well-defined objectives.
- Ability to lift and carry large/bulky items weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to move between all areas of the museum, some of which are widely spaced on uneven terrain and require climbing stairs.
How to Apply:
The San Diego Museum of Man is an equal opportunity employer and a drug free workplace. Please send a cover letter and resume to Recruiting@museumofman.org with “Exhibit Developer” and your first initial and last name in the subject line. Principals only, no phone calls please!