San Diego Museum of Man
Date: August 2016
Position Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
The San Diego Museum of Man (SDMoM) is seeking a creative, experienced, passionate Individual Giving Manager to join its dynamic team. Upon creating a new mission and vision, this team has reinvented SDMoM as a site of discourse where people can come to learn about each other, reflect on their place in the world, and build a better community. Revenues have increased dramatically, and SDMoM is searching for a skilled professional to take contributed revenues to the next level.
The Individual Giving Manager will spearhead a new small- and mid-level gifts strategy to grow SDMoM’s individual donor base at all levels. An integral part of the Development team, the Individual Giving Manager will lead cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of small- to mid-level individual donors and will identify key major gifts prospects from that pool. (S)he is expected to take a leadership role within the Development Department, contributing ideas and expertise to all development strategies. The Individual Giving Manager reports to the Chief Development Officer and is expected to work collaboratively with individuals throughout SDMoM.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Create and execute the fundraising strategy for small- to mid-level individual donors in collaboration with the Chief Development Officer and the Chief Executive Officer.
- Contribute strategic expertise to overall Development planning.
- Drive increased individual gifts.
- Serve as the lead point person for small- to mid-level individual donors, including:
- Design and implement a plan to grow the number and level of small- to mid-level individual donors.
- Cultivate and manage relationships with these donors through in-person visits, phone calls, and email and mail correspondence. Maintain detailed contact records for each in a timely, well-organized manner.
- Solicit gifts according to the development plan.
- Ensure proper and timely stewardship.
- Identify major gifts prospects among the small- and mid-level donors.
- Assist with stewardship of major donors as needed.
- Lead annual fund appeal creation, mailing, follow up, and reporting.
- Together with the Donor & Member Relations Specialist, create and implement a monthly giving program and a planned giving program.
- Together with the Donor & Member Relations Specialist, coordinate development events.
- Identify and analyze new development opportunities.
- Attend all Development Committee meetings and liaise with trustees as needed.
- Create sponsorship materials for all new programs and exhibits, leveraging the talents of the in-house graphic design team.
- Provide timely financial and donor reports to Chief Development Officer and Chief Executive Officer.
- Manage and deliver results within development budget.
- Staff events as needed.
- Help with other tasks as needed and as time allows.
Experience, Education, or Skills Required
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s Degree preferred.
- At least five to seven years of progressive experience in Development with proven track record of delivering results.
- At least three years of managerial experience.
- Significant experience in individual giving, including monthly giving, annual fund giving, and planned giving.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong analytical skills with proven experience evaluating and reporting on data.
- Creative, innovative, and persuasive.
- Self-starter who can work independently with little direction.
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to manage multiple processes and projects.
- Collaborative team player.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to adapt to changing environments.
- Ability to conceptualize and develop strategies.
- Ability and willingness to travel within California.
- Ability and willingness to work some evenings, holidays, and weekends.
- Strictly follows AFP guidelines and general fundraising ethics.
- Excellent proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Proficiency in SalesForce and Constant Contact.
- Knowledge of community, the arts, and non-profit environment preferred.
The San Diego Museum of Man is an equal opportunity employer and a drug free workplace. Please send a cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references to email@example.com. Please indicate the job title “Individual Giving Manager” and your first initial and last name in the subject line. No phone inquiries, please. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.