Date: March 2017
Position Status: Part-Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The San Diego Museum of Man’s mission is to inspire human connections by exploring the human experience. We aim to hold a space for discourse on topics that matter and a place where we keep the fun in profundity. The Museum, housed in an architectural gem at the heart of Balboa Park, is open 362 days each year. Our staff demonstrates great flexibility, generosity, kindness, humor, excellent judgment, and attention to detail. We love our community, our visitors and our team! Commitment to a team approach is a must and a clear perspective is appreciated. If you like being around hard-working, welcoming, appreciative idealists with no shortage of opinions, please join us. Be part of making our community better by working in a museum that aims to be part of the solution.
The San Diego Museum of Man (SDMoM or the Museum) is seeking a Security Guard to join its dynamic team. The Security Guard performs a wide variety of protective, customer service, and courtesy duties for the San Diego Museum of Man (SDMoM or Museum). The security guard is expected to be effective at responding to visitor questions and interacting with museum guests. The security guard is responsible for providing a safe and secure environment for visitors, staff, and collections. This position is 3-4 days a week with additional on-call availability, roughly 20-29 hours per week, and includes weekends, evenings, and holiday hours.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Lead Security Officer, the Security Guard is expected to work collaboratively with individuals throughout SDMoM and to perform the following:
- Monitor assigned areas within the Museum, Museum grounds, and closed circuit TV to observe, caution, instruct, correct, investigate, and report activities to maintain order and protect Museum visitors, staff, collections and exhibitions.
- Employ Customer Service best practices with visitors, staff and vendors.
- Observe exhibits for change of any kind; report problems to the Lead Security Officer for immediate notification to Museum Management; report any building conditions requiring attention to Maintenance staff.
- Maintain knowledge of current policies and procedures in order to correctly implement judgments and actions for the protection of exhibits and the safety and protection of Museum staff and visitors.
- Respond to requests for assistance and evaluate appropriate courses of action.
- Respond to emergency situations such as fire, evacuation plan implementation, or employee/visitor injuries.
- May perform limited emergency first-aid treatment.
- Prepare required security reports that document actions taken while on duty.
- Provide customer service assistance to enhance visitor experience.
- Participate in all required training programs.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Lead Security Officer, Manager on Duty, & SDMoM management staff.
Experience, Education, or Skills Required:
- Minimum of one year of experience in security, and applicable training/certifications.
- Candidate must be outgoing and able to initiate engagement with any and all visitors.
- Excellent customer skills, ability to work as a team player, exercise diplomacy, and make independent decisions.
- Solid analytic, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work under pressure to meet scheduled and unexpected deadlines.
- California Guard Card.
- Weekends, evenings and holidays required.
- Candidate is familiar with museum operations/environment
- First aid/CPR certified
- Open/flexible availability
- Sense of humor, curiosity, and upbeat personality a plus
How to Apply:
The San Diego Museum of Man is an equal opportunity employer and a drug free workplace. Please send a cover letter and resume to Recruiting@museumofman.org with “Security Guard” and your first initial and last name in the subject line. Principals only, no phone calls please!