Website San Diego Museum of Man
Unpaid Intern Position: Marketing Research Internship
The San Diego Museum of Man offers competitive internships that offer real experience working with Museum employees in several departments.
All San Diego Museum of Man internships are unpaid. You must be enrolled in an accredited college or university at the time of your internship in order to qualify for an internship.
Not a student? Not a problem, please apply anyway. However, if granted a position, you will be classified as a Department Volunteer.
Under the guidance of the Marketing and Communications Manager, the marketing research intern will lead a consumer research project focused on the visitors of the San Diego Museum of Man. Building on previous years’ work, the intern will develop and implement studies and surveys to determine who our customers are, why they come to the museum, what they expect from it, and more. They will also compile their findings into reports and actions plan proposals.
Ideal candidates will be current undergraduate or graduate students in search of substantive real-world business experience, especially those interested in a future in management consulting, marketing, or other business-focused disciplines. A love for museums or the arts and culture industry is also a plus.
The intern must be comfortable interviewing and engaging visitors, analyzing data, and summarizing their findings in reports. At completion of the internship students will have gained insights in Museum operations and best practices while working with a professional marketing team.
Hours: Interns should expect to work between 15-20 hours per week, Monday-Friday during regular business hours. Schedules are flexible, though a commitment of regular days and hours per week is desired.
Length of Service: One summer semester
- Develop and implement a summer-long consumer research study/survey
- Craft evaluation tools and protocol
- Interview Museum visitors
- Organize evaluation data, summarize findings in a report, and propose action plans based on findings
- Must be comfortable and skilled at engaging and talking with museum visitors
- Passion for and experience in consumer research, marketing, and museums preferred
- Excellent communication, writing, and research skills
- Should demonstrate professionalism, and be detail oriented
- Time management and able to work within in deadlines
- Completed at least two years of college
- Highly organized and detailed; ability to keep track of information on multiple projects
Please submit a letter of interest and resume via email, with “Marketing Research Intern” (students only) or “Marketing Research Volunteer” (all other applicants) and your name in the subject line to Sharleen Eusebio, Volunteer Programs & Education Associate, at email@example.com. The letter of interest should address how your skills and experience meet the position’s requirements, the skills you hope to learn from the internship, future career plans, and days/times of availability. It should also answer the following question: how would you bring a diverse perspective to the museum field?
Please note that if you are interested in multiple internships or volunteer opportunities, you must submit a separate application for each.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled. No phone calls or drop-by inquiries, please.